2018 SASS NY State Championship
- Dates: September 14-16, 2018.
- Winner of the Wooly Award for 2009 Best SASS Shoot of the Year!
- The 2018 Entry Form will be emailed to all those on the CKR mailing list AND it linked here in mid to late April 2018. To be added to the mailing list, please email Annabelle Bransford at
- For 2018, Heluva Rukus will continue to be a 3-day event with side events on Fri. and main stage shooting on Sat. and Sun. Everyone will shoot 5 stages on Sat. and 5 stages on Sun. We will be shooting in morning and afternoon flights; the posses shooting in the morning flight on Saturday will shoot in the afternoon flight on Sunday and vice versa. There will be two separate safety meetings on Saturday - one at 8 AM for the posses in the morning flight and one at 12:15 PM for those in the afternoon flight. A list of shooters in the morning and afternoon flights will be posted on the website by late August, so that all shooters will know which safety meeting they will need to attend. All posses will shoot 5 stages straight through with no break each day (allowing 45 mins/stage). Posses will shoot the lower 5 stages (Stages 1-5) one day and the upper 5 (Stages 6-10) the other day.
- Please note that no category changes may be made after mid-August 2018.
- Heluva Rukus is a SASS-sanctioned event. You must be an active member of SASS to shoot, and ALL SASS rules will apply.
- Transportation of Firearms: For those of you who may be concerned, please rest assured that the NY SAFE Act of 2013 does NOT affect Cowboy Action Shooting in NY in any way.
However, if you are coming from out-of state, please make sure that you DO comply with the following gun laws as they pertain to the transport of firearms within New York State: A non-resident citizen of the USA may possess a rifle or shotgun in New York, as long as it is unloaded while being transported. Non-resident target shooters may enter or pass through New York State with handguns for purposes of any NRA-approved competition if the competitor has in his/her possession a copy of the flyer/match program, proof of entry and a pistol license from his/her state of residence. The handgun must be unloaded and transported in a locked opaque container separate from any ammunition.
Please note that Heluva Rukus IS an NRA-sanctioned event. This letter will serve as your proof of entry; bring it with you to the event. Under NYS law, you may only have your firearms in the state for 48 hours prior to and 48 hours following our event.
- Check-in: Shooter check-in will take place in the clubhouse from 9:00 AM - 4:00 PM on Friday and from 7:30 AM - 8:00 AM on Saturday for the morning flight and 7:30 AM - 10:00 AM for the afternoon flight. You will be given your posse assignment and a shooter's packet at check-in. Inside the packet will be a Shooter's Handbook which will include a schedule of the weekend's events, a posse shooting schedule, range and safety regulations, a list of side events, descriptions of each of the main stages, costume contest rules, sponsor/vendor information, etc. The packet will also contain your shooter's badge, tickets for any pre-paid Friday and/or Saturday night cowboy dinners, and other 'goodies'. Please review the contents of your packet as soon as it is received, and see one of the registrars if you have any questions. Drawings for door prizes will be held in the clubhouse at time of check-in. There will also be raffle tickets available, as well as CKR badges and HR lapel pins for sale.
- Shooting Schedule: As always, Heluva Rukus will consist of three days of slinging lead and having fun.
Friday: Side events will run from 10:00 AM to 4:00 PM. If you did not pre-pay for the Friday side events, tickets may be purchased at registration/check-in that day for $2/event or $15 for the entire day.
Side events this year will include THREE CAS mini- stages (on 3 separate berms) and THREE Rough Rider mini-stages (all on 1 berm). There will also be long range, .22 cal. pistol/rifle, pocket pistol, derringer, speed rifle, speed pistol and speed shotgun events. Bring a lotta guns and a lotta ammo and watch the lead fly!
Saturday: All shooters will need to attend a mandatory safety meeting at either 8:00 AM or 12:15 PM (time determined by posse flight as mentioned above). Shooting for the morning flight will run from 8:30 AM - 12:15 PM; shooting for the afternoon flight will run from 1:00 PM - 4:45 PM.
Sunday: Shooting for the morning flight will run from 8:00 AM - 11:45 AM; shooting for the afternoon flight will run from 11:45 AM - 3:30 PM.
- Ammo Required: To complete the main stages, you will need approximately 100 rounds of pistol ammo, 100 rounds of rifle ammo, and 50+ shotgun shells. Friday side events will require considerably more ammo, so make sure that you bring plenty of extra.
- Meals: Water will be available on the range throughout Heluva Rukus.
Lunch will be available for purchase on Friday; both breakfast and lunch will be available for purchase on Saturday and Sunday.
There will be cowboy buffet dinners available for purchase IN ADVANCE for both Friday and Saturday night. They will be held in the outdoor pavilion. Details, including cost and menu, will be provided with Heluva Rukus form mailing in April.
NOTE: NO MEALS ARE INCLUDED IN THE REGISTRATION FEE.
Please note that meal tickets will be required for each cowpoke attending the Friday or Saturday night dinners. If you paid for extra dinners for non-shooter guests, their tickets will be included in your shooter's packet along with your own. Please note that there will only be a limited number of extra Friday and Saturday night dinners available for purchase at the shoot, and none will be sold after registration closes.
- Entertainment: Barry Hayes (of P.T. Litewell’s Emporium) will be providing us with some musical entertainment in the pavilion following dinner on Saturday night. If anyone would like to bring a musical instrument – or a good singing voice – and join him, you’re welcome to do so. The more, the merrier!
- Attire: Please keep in mind that you are attending a cowboy shoot, and plan your attire for the weekend accordingly. All registered shooters will be required to wear appropriate Old West/period clothing for ALL events. This includes side matches, the main match, evening activities and the awards ceremony. Shooters not in costume will not be included in any award photos. Although not mandatory that spectators and non-shooter guests dress 'cowboy' all weekend, period attire is strongly encouraged.
- Costume Contest: A costume contest will be held over the course of the shoot with multiple categories offered. Details will be available in the Shooters Handbook. Awards will be announced at the Awards Ceremony on Sunday.
- Pets: If you are thinking of bringing a pet with you, please consider the following. Pets may not be left outside unattended. The New York State Leash Law must be obeyed at all times. No pets will be allowed on the shooting range at any time. Owners will be responsible for cleaning up after their pets.
- Camping: For those of you planning to camp on K F & G property, please take note of the following. There is no charge for a campsite; however, space is limited, so all spaces are by reservation only. If you marked 'Campsite Request' on your original HR registration form, you should find a camping permit included with your confirmation letter (or sent as an attachment to your confirmation email). You will NOT be allowed into the camping area without presenting that permit. Please keep in mind that there are no electrical or water hookups available on site. Water at our club is in limited supply, so you may NOT use the club's water to fill your tanks! You must have a holding tank if you plan on using the sanitary facilities in your trailer. No discharge or dumping of any kind is allowed. Toilet facilities and sinks (but no showers) are available at the range. No individual open campfires are allowed; however, modern elevated grills may be used. If you decide prior to the shoot that you will not be utilizing your reserved spot, please let us know so that we can give the spot to someone else. Should you wish a full service campground, you may want to contact McConchies Heritage Acres in Galway, NY, at 518-882-6605.
- Nearby Activities: If you have non-shooters who accompany you but would rather not spend the entire day with us cowpokes, tell them there are plenty of other activities in the area to keep them occupied - from museums, historic sites, boutiques and outlet stores to amusement parks, boat rides, and water parks - all within less than an hour's drive from the range.
- Cancellation Policy: If at a later date you find that you will be unable to attend the shoot, please notify Annabelle Bransford (518-368-3535 or email: email@example.com) or
Maurice 'Mo' Lasses (email: firstname.lastname@example.org) immediately. If your cancellation notice is received prior to Aug. 14th, your money will be refunded in full. Anyone canceling between Aug. 14th and Aug. 27th will receive a refund, minus a $25 cancellation fee. There will be NO refunds given after August 27th.
- Please feel free to email Annabelle (email@example.com) or Maurice 'Mo' Lasses (firstname.lastname@example.org) if you have any questions or need additional information. You may also want to visit our website regularly to check for updates.
- We're looking forward to you doing your part to ensure that Heluva Rukus lives up to its name as we rekindle a little of the old Wild West in Upstate New York!
- Vendors & Sponsors: Contact 'Lone Star Jake' (Keith Feldman) at 518-878-1653 or email: email@example.com.
- 2017 Results and Photos
- 2016 Results and Photos
- 2015 Results and Photos
- 2014 Results and Photos
- 2013 Results and Photos
- 2012 Results and Photos
- 2011 Results and Photos
- 2010 Results and Photos
- 2009 Results and Photos
- 2008 Results and Photos
- 2007 Photos
Designed by Dead Head, Webmaster